Overview and Key Takeaways
Auto-Owners Insurance sells more than a dozen types of insurance beyond auto insurance. They operate across 26 states and allow you to bundle multiple policies to streamline your insurance needs.
- Fewer than expected number of complaints for insurance policies
- Broad variety of policies and coverage choices
- Available in 26 states
21st Century Insurance scores 4.5/5 for the overall performance based on a range of factors including pricing, financial strength, discounts, ease of filing a claim, and complaint data.
Auto-Owners Insurance: Services
Auto-Owners Insurance policies for cars include all state-required coverage with the following add-ons and options:
- Additional expenses: If your car is in the shop being repaired, this coverage provides more than just a rental car. You’ll also benefit from money for food and lodging along with incidentals
- Diminished value coverage: If your car is damaged, this add-on compensates you for the inevitable reduced value of your vehicle
- Gap coverage: Do you have a loan balance on your car? If so and if your car is stolen or totaled, you’ll be paid out in full
- Personal Automobile Plus: This package comes with 10 extras from identity theft coverage through to cell phone insurance
- Common loss deductible: If you have home insurance and auto insurance through Auto-Owners and you need to make a claim on both policies for one event, your auto deductible will be reduced accordingly
- Collision coverage advantage: Collision deductibles are be waived if you have a crash. If you collide with an animal, Auto-Owners pays from your comprehensive or collision coverage
- Rental car insurance: Get the same coverage on a rental car as on your own ride with no extra fees
Auto-Owners Insurance: Discounts
You can get discounts for:
- Multiple life insurance policies
- Multiple policies
- Multiple vehicles
- No claims in 3 years
- Safety features
- Upfront payment
Auto-Owners Insurance: Homeowners Insurance
The company offers a wide choice of home insurance policies with add-ons including:
- Equipment breakdown
- Guaranteed home replacement cost
- Identity theft
- Ordinance coverage
- Sewer backup
- Special personal property
Auto-Owners Insurance: Life Insurance
The company offers universal, whole life, and term life insurance policies.
Auto-Owners Insurance: Complaints
Auto-Owners Insurance has far fewer complaints to state regulators than you would expect for comparably-sized auto insurance firm. As you would expect from a company that generates so few complaints, customer satisfaction is correspondingly high.
Find some of the complaints on the web below below:
Deborah of Tallapoosa, GA –– November 2020
Very disappointing and rude service thus far after filing claim for electrical and storm damage in Tallapoosa GA area. The adjuster would not set up times to discuss claim. Had to keep calling and emailing. Very rude and condescending and kept stating he did not receive or understand damages submitted. Desperate attempts to intimidate a customer and in opinion because have been dealing with a female. Have to keep re sending information. In opinion use techniques to delay, underestimate, under value, and deny claims or have complete incompetence and total lack of customer service skills.
Unfortunately, their local agent defended their behavior, disrespect, mistreatment, and lack of accountability to a long time customer and senior citizen in a claim on the account. It is a disgrace that a business operates in such a manner. To date, there is no resolution and no reimbursement. Fortunately, there were savings to cover what the insurance policy/contract should have. Buyer beware as what happens to people totally depending on their hard-earned policy premiums paid for years to be in vain not to mention the disrespectful, rude, hateful, gaslighting behavior received. One would think we owed them money instead of auto owners owing us and honoring a contract.
Peter Kanzler –– July 2020
We cancelled our insurance with Auto Owners in April 2020 prior to the end of the policy in July. To date we are still waiting on our refund of the portion we fully paid through July 2020. In addition, AO also send a renewal bill to our Mortgage Escrow account on July 21, 2020 knowing that we had cancelled. They now have a full year’s premium in addition to the partial refund we are due. We need this back to bring our escrow balance back to the balance it should have. What a scam they pulled on us.
Tamanati –– May 2020
Avoid this insurance company, they just are after as much money as possible, beware of the auditors, they are not honest, fees just keep going up and there are plenty of other better companies.
Auto-Owners Insurance: What Else?
The website is packed with useful and educational information. Navigation is crisp and responsive. You can pay your bill and view policy information online any time.
There’s a free mobile app for both iOS and Android allowing you robust functionality in-app on any mobile device.
Other Types of Insurance Offered
You can also obtain the following insurance policies with Auto-Owners Insurance:
- ATV and off-road insurance
- Boat insurance
- Commercial auto insurance
- Condo insurance
- Farm insurance
- Flood insurance
- Mobile home insurance
- Motorcycle insurance
- Renters insurance
- Umbrella Insurance
Auto-Owners Insurance: Pros and Cons
- Deep product bench
- Many bundle options
- Fewer complaints than expected
- High degree of customer satisfaction
- Available only in 26 states
Auto-Owners Insurance Review
Auto-Owners Insurance Review
Auto-Owners Insurance sells more than a dozen types of insurance beyond auto insurance. They operate only across 26 states and allow you to bundle multiple policies to streamline your insurance needs. Auto-Owners Insurance has mixed customer service complaints.
User Review( votes)