Amwell also known as America Well is nation’s largest online telemedicine provider accessible 24/7 via a web browser or the company’s own mobile application. They provide care for urgent (but non-emergency) medical conditions, including mental health care services, such as psychiatry and counseling, charging a flat per visit fee.
Who is Amwell Ideal For?
Amwell online counseling services are tailored to people who need remote access to a health care provider on short notice for conditions that can be assessed virtually via a video conference or a phone call with the health care provider, including mental health conditions, such as anxiety, depression, chronic stress, etc.
Amwell Pros & Cons
- Quick scheduling for live appointments 24/7
- Service includes physical care, psychiatry and counseling
- Ability to choose a particular therapist from the list
- Flat rate per appointment fee
- Amwell doctors can write prescription in most cases
- Limited communication options for therapy services than most leading providers
- Only live appointments offered
- No subscription options
- Access to the platform only within the US territory
Some Fast Facts About Amwell
- Doctors can write prescriptions and fill out basic medical forms, such as sick slips
- May be covered by some insurance providers and some employer’s
- While technical difficulties have been noted to arise frequently with live video sessions, phone sessions are available to make up for that and can be switched to instantly
- Service available to teens and children with the consent of the guardian
- Health providers create a custom treatment plan with a recommended number of visits
- Cost transparency – you see the cost of your “visit” at the time of the booking (anywhere from $59 to $99 without insurance coverage), but it does not include the cost of any prescriptions, follow-up lab work or follow-up visits if deemed applicable
- All appointments are real-time
- Amwell is not designed for regular ongoing medical treatment, only as a support medical care for acute non-emergency conditions and in between office visits care
Amwell Services & Sessions
AmWell provides service for a wide variety of medical conditions, as they have MDs as well as specialty doctors. They also provide mental health services, including mental health counseling and psychiatry.
Doctors cannot be your regular healthcare providers but instead are meant to be there to support your care between office visits, such as when you are traveling or when you have a non-emergency or low acuity health condition.
All sessions are via video communication at a time that is convenient for you. You can book your appointment via the scheduling system on the app and receive same-day consultations, if available.
What’s unique about Amwell?
Amwell has over 350 MDs, therapists and counselors nationwide and is one of the most comprehensive telemedicine applications for mental health. As Amwell is accredited by the American Telemedicine Association, it means they follow best privacy practices with sensitive user data. Accepts a wide variety of insurance providers which can lower the cost for users.
Pricing and Fees
The price of a session on Amwell varies depending on the type of therapist you want to connect with. An urgent care visit via the platform is charged at $69 and typically lasts around 10 minutes, and the average cost of a one-hour appointment ranges from $59 to $99 based on the experience and credentials of the therapist, and psychiatry visits charged at $199 for initial visit and $95 for follow-ups. You may want to check with your insurance, as there may be coverage for this service under your standard policy.
This cost does not include the price of any prescriptions or follow up visits, if required. There are no free trials available with Amwell, but you can cancel at any time.
Confidentiality & Privacy
Amwell is a HIPAA-compliant tool that allows you to safely consult with a doctor virtually. Your information is secure and therapy sessions are neither recorded or stored.
Amwell healthcare providers are all certified physicians, psychologists, and master’s level therapists, with an average of 15 years’ experience and all board certified doctors are licensed and credentialed to practice (and prescribe medication) in your state of residence.
AmWell is most frequently used for non-emergency conditions like colds and flus, UTIs, Diarrhea, bronchitis, vomiting, depression, anxiety, pink eye, strep throat, sinus infections, rashes, etc., and has service providers in the following areas:
- Children’s Medical
- Psychological Therapy
- Adolescent Therapy
- Dietary and Nutritional Counseling
- Breastfeeding Support
- Family and Couple’s Counseling
- Functional Integrative Medicine
- Urgent Care
Who is Amwell Not For?
Amwell is not for people suffering from serious or life threatening conditions, such as:
- Chest pain
- Neurological symptoms, suggesting a stroke
- Difficulty breathing
- Dizziness or loss of consciousness
- Sudden bleeding
- Choking or gagging
- Severe Hypertension or Hemorrhoids
- Head injury
- Possible broken bones
- Patients who want to hurt themselves (suicidal)
- Patients who want to hurt others (homicidal)
- Schizophrenia or hallucinations
If you have any of the above symptoms or any other serious medical concerns please call 911 or proceed to the nearest emergency department.
Does Amwell Have Credibility?
Amwell is a well-established and recognized practice for providing telehealth services and has a 99% client satisfaction rate and the average rating for clients who had therapy sessions using Amwell is 4.9/5.
All in all, Amwell is a comprehensive telemedicine platform that offers people access to doctors and specialists via 24/7 at a fraction of the cost of an in-office or urgent care visit. Appointments are quick to schedule and take place live via a video conference.
You know what to expect in terms of the cost at the time of booking your appointment, so it is definitely a great option for acute symptoms, but there is no subscription service for unlimited access to therapy, which makes it subpar to some online therapy providers when it comes to getting regular therapy to address anxiety, relationship issues, chronic stress, eating disorders, depression, or other mental health concerns.
If you are interested in unlimited access to therapy, we recommend checking out one of our top-rated online therapy choices here
User Review( votes)