Advertiser Disclosure: Many of the companies featured here provide compensation to us. This is how we maintain our free service for consumers. Compensation, along with hours of in-depth editorial research, determines where & how companies appear below.
If you book award flights through Virgin Atlantic, you may have to pay considerable fees. You can transfer miles to other airlines, but is that enough? Find out in our Virgin Atlantic World Elite Mastercard Review.
An experienced award traveler knows that sometimes the value of a credit card lies in its partnerships with other loyalty programs. This may be the case with the Virgin Atlantic World Elite Mastercard®. Instead of booking through Virgin Atlantic, you can transfer your miles to other airline partners to get even more value out of your miles.
Does the fact that you have decent travel partners make applying for this airline credit card a good enough reason to do so?
Virgin Atlantic World Elite Mastercard: Who Should Apply?
Those who travel frequently on Virgin Atlantic may benefit from having this Mastercard in their wallets. It is also worth noting that if you prefer to fly with Virgin Atlantic’s partner airlines, such as Delta or Air New Zealand, this is one of the best airline credit cards to have in your wallet. With Virgin Atlantic, you can earn miles and transfer them to partner airlines for award flights without paying high fees and taxes.
With this card, you’ll get a companion pass that works only with Virgin Atlantic award flights, not with partner airlines. Traveling with Virgin Atlantic rarely will not make this perk useful to you.
If you are not a fan of Virgin Atlantic or are not loyal to any particular airline, a versatile travel credit card may be more beneficial. Virgin Atlantic World Elite offers excellent rewards rates for everyday spending, but most of your earning potential is tied to Virgin Atlantic flights.
- Card type: Travel
- Credit card issuer: Bank of America
- Credit card network: Visa
- Annual fee: $90
- Intro bonus: Get 30,000 Virgin Points after spending $1,000 in the first 90 days
- Reward Rate: 3 miles per dollar spent directly with Virgin Atlantic, 1.5 miles per dollar spent elsewhere
- Recommended credit score: Excellent, Good
- Foreign transaction fee: None
Benefits And Perks Of The Virgin Atlantic World Elite Mastercard
- Welcome offer: Receive 30,000 Virgin Points after spending $1,000 within the first 90 days of opening your account. As well as earning Flying Club bonus miles on your anniversary after qualifying purchases, you can also earn up to 5,000 miles by adding authorized users (2,500 miles per authorized user).
- Getting a companion pass: To earn a companion pass, cardholders must spend $25,000 per year. If you redeem miles for Virgin Atlantic reward flights, this companion pass is valid for the same cabin class.
- Points for membership tiers: There are three membership tiers offered by Virgin Atlantic: Red, Silver, and Gold. There are some benefits associated with each membership tier. Spending $2,500 on your Virgin Atlantic card earns you 25 tier points. Tier points can be earned up to 50 times per month.
- FICO credit score: Through your online account or the mobile app, you can access your FICO credit score for free.
- There are no foreign transaction fees: When traveling abroad, the Virgin Atlantic World Elite Mastercard is an excellent choice. There are no foreign transaction fees associated with this credit card, making it one of the best credit cards available. It can also be used anywhere Mastercard is accepted.
There Are Some Drawbacks To The Virgin Atlantic World Elite Mastercard
- Annual fee: There is an annual fee of $90 for the Virgin Atlantic World Elite Mastercard.
- Perks related to travel: If you are looking for a credit card that offers lounge access, priority boarding, or other travel benefits, the Virgin World Elite Mastercard may not be the best option for you. Cardholders of this card do not receive any specific travel perks, beyond the ability to earn rewards.
The Earning And Redemption Of Bonus Miles With Flying Club
When you travel Virgin Atlantic, it pays, especially if you use your Virgin Atlantic World Elite Mastercard. Virgin Atlantic is offering 3X miles per dollar spent on direct purchases. Your Virgin Atlantic miles will add up quickly if you are a frequent flyer.
All other purchases will earn 1.5X miles. Typically, airline co-branded rewards credit cards earn just 1X miles per dollar, but this card offers a great earning rate. Virgin Atlantic credit cards don’t have a limit on the number of miles you can earn.
Categories and Reward Rate
- Virgin Atlantic purchases: 3x
- All other purchases: 1.5x
Additionally, Virgin offers free membership to its Virgin Red rewards program. With Virgin Red, you can earn Virgin Points by shopping online and taking advantage of partner offers. It is possible to link your Virgin Red and Virgin Atlantic accounts and redeem points from either membership.
Virgin Atlantic offers free flights when you redeem Flying Club miles. When traveling on an award flight with the airline, you should be prepared to pay substantial fees and taxes. In most cases, points and miles enthusiasts are used to trading in miles for award flights and paying a nominal amount for taxes and fees. Virgin Atlantic award flights, however, are different; typically, taxes and fees are much higher. Moreover, you may be able to reduce the cost of Virgin Atlantic flights by using the Miles and Money option.
Partners Of Virgin Atlantic Flying Club
The best way to maximize the value of your Flying Club miles is to transfer them to one of Virgin Atlantic’s eight airline partners. In addition, you’ll pay much less in additional charges. The following are Virgin Atlantic’s partners:
- Delta Air Lines
- Singapore Airlines
- Air New Zealand
- Virgin Australia Airlines
- South African Airways
- All Nippon Airways
- Air China
- Hawaiian Airlines
You can transfer your miles to almost any airline that travels worldwide.
Flying Club miles can also be redeemed for other rewards. Virgin Atlantic also partners with Hilton and IHG hotels. Additionally, miles can be redeemed for dining, shopping, and travel experiences. You can also gift or transfer your miles if you wish.
Virgin Atlantic World Elite Mastercard Review FAQs
Is It Possible To Use Virgin Miles On Other Airlines?
It is true, Virgin miles can be redeemed for flights with eight partner airlines, including Delta Air Lines, Air New Zealand, Air China, and Hawaiian Airlines, among others.
How Long Do Virgin Miles Last?
In case there has been no activity on your Virgin Flying Club account for three years, then your miles will expire.
Would Virgin Miles Be Able To Be Transferred To Another Person?
It is possible to transfer Virgin Flying Club miles to another individual for a fee. It is possible to transfer miles in increments of 1,000 with a maximum of 100,000 miles per member. You are permitted to transfer a maximum of 100,000 miles per year.
Is My Virgin Atlantic Credit Card International-Compatible?
There is no foreign transaction fee attached to the Virgin Atlantic World Elite Mastercard, so it is widely accepted around the globe.
Consider These Other Cards
As one of the best travel credit cards, the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card is always a top choice. Upon spending $4,000 on purchases in the first three months, you will be eligible to earn 60,000 points. In addition, Chase Ultimate Rewards cardholders receive 5X points on Lyft rides and travel booked through Chase Ultimate Rewards; 3X points on eligible dining, select streaming services, and online grocery purchases; 2X points on travel; and 1X points per $1 on all other eligible purchases. Rewards points can be redeemed through the Chase Ultimate Rewards portal for a 25% increase in value. It is also possible to transfer points to several travel partners, including Virgin Atlantic. Annual fees for the Chase Sapphire Preferred are $95 per year.
The American Express® Gold Card is another rewards card that transfers points to Virgin Atlantic. When you spend $4,000 in the first six months, you will earn 60,000 Membership Rewards points. In addition to earning 4X points at supermarkets (up to $25,000 per year, after that 1X), you can also earn 3X on flights booked directly with airlines or through Amextravel.com, and 1X on all other purchases eligible for Membership Rewards points. Other benefits include a $120 dining credit, baggage and car rental damage insurance, and other travel benefits. There is an annual fee of $250 for the Amex Gold Card. Enrollment is required for certain card benefits.