Advertiser Disclosure: Many of the companies featured here provide compensation to us. This is how we maintain our free service for consumers. Compensation, along with hours of in-depth editorial research, determines where & how companies appear below.
OneMain Financial is a community-based lender, which has been in business for more than 100 years, providing personal loans to consumers across America. With more than 1,500 branches in 44 states, it provides a good level of trust backed by excellent customer service ratings and more than a century’s experience as a lender.
OneMain Fast Facts
Loan Amounts: $1,500 to $20,000
APR: 18% to 35.99%
Minimum Credit Score: 620
- Loan Type: Unsecured personal loans
- Repayment Terms: 24 to 60 months
- Direct Lender or Marketplace: Direct Lender
- Turnaround Time: As soon as the same day
- Best For: People who want to borrow from an experience trusted brand
OneMain Pros & Cons
- Flexible repayment options
- Good credit is not required to qualify
- Excellent customer service reviews
- Numerous branches
- High minimum APR
- May charge high origination fees and late fees in addition to other costs
- The loan must be signed in the branch
OneMain Cost of Loan
Onemain Financial offers unsecured personal loans ranging from $1,500 to $20,000. However, their lowest rates are not that competitive, with a high APR starting from 18% to 35.99%, you would also have to deduct an origination fee of 1% to 5%, which is taken out from your loan funds before they’re disbursed.
To get started, there is a list of criteria you need to meet:
- US citizen or permanent resident
- You must be at least 18 years of age
- Established credit history
- Valid Bank Account
To apply you need to have access to the following information as well:
- A government-issued ID
- Income or employment information
- Social Security number
- Minimum 620 credit score
After you’ve met all the qualifications, you can get started with OneMain Financial by following these few steps:
- Click the Check my rate button to be redirected to its application
- Enter your loan amount and loan purpose, then enter your preferred monthly payment
- Select whether you are applying individually or jointly
- Enter your basic personal information and current address and social security number
- Read OneMain Financial’s disclosures, then click Submit loan application
Once your application is processed, if you are prequalified, you will need to visit a branch to have your identity, income, and collateral verified. After reviewing and accepting the loan terms, you will sign your loan documents, and OneMain Financial will either transfer your funds directly into your bank account or give you a check.
OneMain Reviews and Ratings
OneMain Financials’ BBB Rating is A+
OneMain Financial’s reputation online is one of the strongest in the industry. It is accredited by the Better Business Bureau with an A+ rating and over 1325 reviews. Not all reviews are positive, but most borrowers mentioned their excellent customer service and fast turnaround. Furthermore, reviews on Trustpilot are constructive as well, it scores an amazing rating of 4.8 stars out of 5, based on 22,191 customer reviews. It does not get much better than that.
Things to remember before choosing OneMain
- OneMain Financial has branches in 44 states and the District of Columbia. The only states where it doesn’t operate are Alaska, Arkansas, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Vermont.
- OneMain Financial uses security measures that comply with federal law. These include computer safeguards and secured files and buildings.
- OneMain Financial’s personal loans come with monthly repayments you can pay online, at a branch, by mail, and by phone. You can also set up autopay
- OneMain Financial specializes in unsecured personal loans and secured auto loans.
- OneMain Financial helps borrowers with less-than-excellent credit, making it a solid choice for anyone unable to qualify for a top rate elsewhere.
- Make sure to keep in contact with OneMain Financial when you have any questions.
With OneMain Financial, you get a lender with more than a century’s experience serving the public. Their focus is on borrowers who need a quick source of cash but may not have the best credit. However, OneMain Financial is expensive compared to other lenders, with a high starting APR of 18% and a high maximum of 35.99%. So, if you have above-average to excellent credit, you may find more affordable options at your local bank or credit union.
Clearone Advantage, Credit Associates, Credit 9, Americor Funding, Tripoint Lending, Lendvia, Simple Path Financial, New Start Capital, Point Break Financial, Sagemore Financial, Money Ladder, Advantage Preferred Financial, LoanQuo, Apply.Credit9, Mobilend